This is an old revision of FoodLodging
from 2012-06-20 17:52:45.
An old street in Paris
On this page, you will find some information about Lodging and Eating options around the ENS.
We strongly recommend that you make lodging reservations well in advance.
For information about Public transportation from the Airports to Paris or within Paris (bus and subway lines), visit the RATP
. In addition, for transportation to and from the airports, check out this site Paris Airports
There is also an official site of the Paris tourist Office
which also provides information about Museums, etc.. in and around Paris.
For local transportation, there is an extensive network of subway lines and bus lines that you can visualize on this RATP
site ( whihc has a nice interactive map.
In addition, you can use the Self service VELIB bike system. Check it out here: VELIB
Where to eat at the ENS
Le "pot": the ens self service cafeteria (see ENS map). It is open from 12pm to 1:30pm.
A full meal (cafeteria food) is about 9 euros. You must buy a meal ticket at the bar which entitles you to a number of points you can spend on various food and drinks items. A display at the cafeteria entrance shows the current hot dishes of the day.
The bar serves the usual drinks and a few snacks as well.
Where to eat around the ENS
Click on Restaurants
for a map
Do what many parisians do. Buy a sandwich or a croissant in a bakery and go eat it in the beautiful parc du Luxembourg, and admire the chestnut trees and the Senate.
The closest is Boulangerie Moderne, 16 rue des Fossés St Jacques
Others (Click on BoulanGeries
for a map):
La Boulange 29 r Gay Lussac
Les Panetons 113 r Mouffetard
Patin Francis 13 rue Claude Bernard
Piccadis 8 r Gay Lussac
Solques Bruno 243 r St Jacques
Brioche Doree (La) 65 bd St Michel
Blavette Daniel 16 r Mouffetard
For lunch, an entrée in a café is about ten euros. There are many cafés around the école normale supérieure.
- Rue Claude Bernard at the end of rue d'Ulm
- At the intersection of rue d'Ulm and rue Lhomond
- Rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée between rue Gay Lussac and rue Saint Jacques
There are also lots of cafés and restaurants in these areas:
- Rue Mouffetard and place de la Contrescarpe
- Rue du Pot de fer
- Square Saint Médard
- Rue Saint Jacques to the north of rue Gay Lussac
- Rue Soufflot near the Panthéon
Warning: prices are given as indication only. They may have changed since this information was posted. Check for yourself.
Options recommended by Previous Visitors (suggestions welcome)
The Crous (student portal for Paris) in French CROUS
Craiglist Paris, an extensive site of classifieds including temporary lodging and many many other things CRAIGSLISTPARIS
FIAP Jean Monnet: a non profit place. Comfortable rooms at reasonable prices. Check it out HERE
International Youth Hostels
About 20 euros /night.
The best location for Ealing: Jules Ferry
8 boulevard Jules Ferry, 75011 Paris
Subway stop "République
" (lines 3, 5, 8, 9 et 11) , Tel : 01.43.57.55.60,
Auberge Internationale des Jeunes
About 20 Euros /night. Relatively well located for Ealing and centrally located in Paris.
. A little bit more expensive than the previous ones but no registration fee required (about 30 euros / night). Several locations.
Maison Internationale de la Jeunesse et des Étudiants
. From 45 euros (single room) to 28 euros (quad). Very well located for Ealing and very centrally located in Paris.
Another alternative less expensive than hotels is accommodation on the University Campus (Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris) in the South of Paris, about 10 minutes on the “metro” from the ENS (Ealing site).
Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris
17, boulevard Jourdan – 75014 Paris
Rate : € 20.- to 35.- (single or double)
Subway: Cité universitaire
The CIUP is an independent foundation with its own selection criteria, basically a first come first serve system. Several countries such as Switzerland, Norway, Tunisia, India, Italy etc. have their own Residence to accommodate the scholars from their country. If your country is among them, don’t hesitate to contact them directly, you can double your chance to get a room. For information and reservation, see
Don’t forget to mention when you make your request:
Institution where you’ll be going in France : Ecole Normale Supérieure
45 rue d'Ulm
Postal code 75005 City : Paris
Name of the department: Département d'études cognitives
Aim of your stay: ENS/ EALING
General hotel sites
Some individual hotels
Check them out with a search engine for details (2006 prices)
- Hôtel de Chevreuse. Subway: Notre Dame des Champs, Téléphone: 01 43 20 93 16 Fax: 01 43 21 43 72
- Rooms: 1pers 35 EUR to 54 EUR, 2pers 54 EUR to 60 EUR, 3pers 82 EUR
- Hôtel des académies. Subway: Vavin (6ème), tel. : 01 43 26 66 44 Rooms: 1-39 euros, 2-53 euros
- Hôtel Picard. Subway: République, tel. : 01 48 87 53 82 Rooms: 1-33 euros, 2-40 euros, 3-59 euros
- Hôtel de la Herse d’or. Subway St Paul (4ème), tel. : 01 48 87 84 09 Rooms: 1-30 euros, 2-49 euros
- Hôtel du Printemps. Subway Picpus (12ème), tel. :01 43 43 62 31 Rooms: 1-2 30 euros, 3-4 45 euros
- Hôtel de Lyon et de Mulhouse. Subway Bastille (11ème), tel. : 01 47 00 91 50 Rooms: 1-83 euros, 2-83 euros, 3-92 euros, 4-100 euros
- Hôtel villa du Maine. Subway Plaisance (14ème), tel. : 01 47 00 91 50 Rooms: 1-58 euros, 2-80 euros, 3-99 euros, 4-116 euros
- Hôtel de la Porte Dorée. Subway Porte dorée (12ème), tel. : 01 47 00 54 05 Rooms: 1-41 euros, 2-56 euros, 3-63 euros, 4-73 euros
- Hôtel Kensington. Subway Ecole Militaire (7ème), tel. : 01 47 05 74 00 Rooms: 1-47 euros, 2-61 euros, 3-73 euros, 4-85 euros
Other Hotels with web reservations possible
- Ibis (several locations in Paris around 80 euros for a double room.)
- Hôtel du Square d'Anvers. Subway Square d’Anvers (9ème) rooms: 1-2 85 euros
- Comfort hotel (several locations in Paris, around 70 euros for a double room)
- Hôtel des trois Nations. Subway Jacques Bonsergent (10ème) rooms: 1-59 euros, 2-68 euros, 3-93 euros
- Hôtel Beaunier. Subway Porte d’Orléans (14ème) Rooms: 1-2 76 euros
- Hôtel Alexandrine. Subway Liège (8ème) Rooms: 2-3 88 euros
- Hôtel Leonard de Vinci. Subway Parmentier (11ème)Rooms: 1-2 88 euros